Friday, June 21, 2013

edible garden favorites ~ part 2

My last post featured all my favorite goodies planted in my raised bed.  We also have plenty of edible plants scattered around the yard.
If you don't have the space for a raised bed, just put a couple of these in pots.  They're pretty and delicious!  Remember not all plants are created equal.  I think I've got some winners this year...


{1} thompson seedless grapes ~ vigorous climber for a fence or trellis ~ we've got these all over an ugly fence back by our garage
{2} seascape strawberry ~ everbearing ~ produces fruit spring, summer and fall ~ these love hanging pots
{3} peach sorbet blueberry ~ a dwarf variety perfect for a pot
{4} raspberry shortcake ~ a dwarf variety with no thorns ~ this is the only variety I would go with if you have kids ~ regular raspberries can be pretty painful
{5} meyer lemon ~ so sweet + the blossoms smell amazing
{6} stevia and mint ~ muddle the leaves of these two in hot water for the perfect sweet mint tea
{7} a potted herb garden ~ basil, cilantro, chives, rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!


2 comments:

  1. Whitney,
    Does your cilantro go to seed quickly. We love cilantro on street tacos and in salsa, but it seems its a challenge to get it to grow even when I diligently cut the blooms. I'd love to grow some raspberries and blueberries. I'll have to find a place for them.
    Great post.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does! But we love it so much that I put up with it. I can usually get some extra time by keeping it cut down. I never let it flower. But, the only thing I've really found to work is just continuously growing. I just keep a seed pack on hand and when it gets about 3" tall I throw in a few new seeds. I'd say I throw in a few seeds every month.

    You should absolutely grow some raspberries and blueberries. They're such fun! And you'll be amazed by how much one little bush produces!

    ReplyDelete